Mario Foresi (1849–1932), born in a family originally from Elba, was a man of letters, and a book and art collector.
In 1914 he decided to donate his collection to the island with which he felt a strong association. Inaugurated in 1924 in the municipal chambers of the Biscotteria, the collection has been displayed anew in the rooms of the historic De Laugier barracks, with the addition of certain paintings owned by the Municipality.
The museum features paintings, prints, furniture and drawings covering a wide chronological period, up to the twentieth century. Among the twentieth-century works are view-paintings and landscapes of Elba, but also a portrait of a lady by Vittorio Corcos.
Salita Napoleone, Portoferraio Tel. (+39) 0565 937380 / 917649 www.comune.portoferraio.li.it