After work to restore and renovate the church of San Pancrazio, another museum was added to the San Pancrazio complex to house the valuable collection of sculptures, paintings, drawings and prints donated to the city of Florence by Marino Marini (1901-1980) the year he died and on subsequent occasions by his widow. The works can be seen displayed over three different levels in atmospheric surroundings.
They document the artist’s career between Tuscany and Milan, from his youthful experiences marked by his fascination with Etruscan clay modelling, to the rapprochement with Arturo Martini; the later post-war period takes in his fruitful contacts with the New York art scene, his contacts and experimentations alongside internationally renowned sculptors such as Moore, Arp, Calder, and Tanguy.
Below the church, in the generous crypt, is a bright exhibition space dedicated mainly to contemporary art. Since 1993, the Italian department of education has been involved in running workshops and guided tours for children, families and adults in a very full programme of activities, and is particularly sensitive to the needs of people with disabilities.
Piazza San Pancrazio, Firenze Tel. (+39) 055 219432 www.museomarinomarini.it email@example.com